Founded in 1898, at the dawn of the biggest crisis to hit the whisky industry in the 19th century, Glentauchers spent its entire life overshadowed by production for blended scotch, with the majority of its malt being used for the Buchanan blend and, later, Black & White. After halting production during the two world wars, it finally closed its doors for good in 1985. In 1989 it was bought by the Allied Domecq group (Ballantine’s) before being taken over by the Pernod Ricard group in 2005. Though an official bottling did appear on the market in the 90s, bottlings of its single malts are seldom found. The rare versions that are available are released by independent bottlers such as Signatory Vintage and Gordon & Macphail.